Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Wood (Cork)

Andrew Jordaine Wood of 10 Sydney Place, Cork, is recorded by Hussey de Burgh as owning over 6,000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s while the Return of Landowners dated 1876 records his ownership as 3,395 acres. Colonel Andrew J. Wood was a military man who had served as High Sheriff of Cork. His son Andrew assumed the name of Ryder in 1875 and his representatives were living at Castlelyons in 1906. George A. Wood of Lota House was also a member of this family. In August 1851 the Freeman's Journal reported that Captain Andrew Wood was the purchaser of over 3000 acres in the parish of Dunbulloge, barony of Barrymore, in the Encumbered Estates Court. Another family member may have been Benjamin Shaw Wood who held land in the parishes of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow and Castlelyons, barony of Barrymore, county Cork in the mid 19th century. The representatives of Shaw Benjamin Wood of Cork owned 2,435 acres in the county in the 1870s.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Castlelyons House Kill St Anne South Castlelyons Fermoy Castlelyons 138 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref: W839 931
OS Sheet: 45
Discovery map: 81

Archival sources

  • Copy of grant of arms to Andrew Richard Wood of Sydney Place, Cork, second son of Col. Andrew Jordaine Wood, on his assuming under Royal Licence the name and arms of Wood Ryder, Feb. 1876. Genealogical Office: Ms. 109, pp. 349 - 50 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Copy of royal licence to Andrew Richard Wood of City of Cork to take the name Ryder in addition to and after the name Wood and bear the arms of Ryder and Wood quarterly, Dec. 6, 1875. Genealogical Office: Ms. 153, pp. 177-80 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Wood family Commissions of Peace. U231; Cork City and County Archives

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources