Elizabethan settlers located at first in county Sligo, from where they spread into counties Mayo, Roscommon and Galway. The Ballinamore branch were descended from the Ormsby of Comyn or Cummin in county Sligo.
|Roberts||A small estate at Lackafinna, parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, was bought by Elizabeth Ormsby from the Millers of Milford, parish of Kilmainemore, for £5,200 in the 1830s. This property was inherited by Mrs Ormsby's daughter Jane Elizabeth who was married to Dr Watkin William Roberts. He was resident at Carnarvon in Wales in 1878. At this time he held 792 acres in county Mayo, 692 acres in county Longford and an acre in county Clare.|
|Ormsby (Ballinamore)||The Ballinamore estate, in the parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, was granted to the Ormsbys by patents dated 6 Apr and 6 July 1677. The family had been located in the area for a number of years before that date and purchased land from transplanted persons. Anthony Ormsby of Ballinamore owned 4,492 acres in 1876. Most of the estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in 1917 and the house and demesne were sold in 1938. Three younger sons of Thomas Ormsby of Ballinamore acted as agents to various landlords in the locality and lived at Knockmore, Lakelands and Castlelucas.|
|Ruttledge (Ballyhowly)||Peter Ruttledge, eldest son of William Ruttledge of Hollymount, county Mayo, leased a number of farms in the 1780s and 1790s in the baronies of Costello and Kilmaine, including Ballyhowly, parish of Knock, which was situated in the barony of Costello at that time but is now in the barony of Clanmorris. He went to live on the Ballyhowly farm in 1801 and possibly built the house. His son married Jane, daughter of Christopher Ormsby of the Ballinamore family, and his grandson, William, married Elizabeth Gray of Claremorris. Ballyhowly was bought by William Ruttledge in the mid-1850s and remained the family residence until it was sold in 1914. Ballyhowly was part of the estate of Lord Oranmore and Browne and was advertised for sale in 1854 along with many other parts of the Browne estate.|
|Miller (Milford)||A family of Cromwellian settlers who were granted over 1,000 acres in the parishes of Kilmainemore and Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo in 1667. Originally established at Ballycusheen they settled at Milford, parish of Kilmainemore, in the early 18th century. They also held lands along the shore of Killary harbour in the 18th century from the Blakes of Renvyle and inherited part of the Cloghastookeen estate, parish of Kilconickny, barony of Dunkellin, county Galway, through marriage with a Croasdaile heiress. Croasdaile Bowen Miller is recorded as one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilconickny, barony of Dunkellin, in 1855. In 1876 the Milford estate was comprised of 1404 acres in county Mayo and 651 acres in county Galway. It was reduced in size by sales to the Congested Districts' Board and the Land Commission but the Ormsby family, who inherited the property from the Millers early in the 20th century, still farm 300+ acres. This is one of the few county Mayo estates still in the possession of the descendants of the original grantees.|
|Ormsby (Rocksavage)||In the mid 18th century Rocksavage, parish of Athleague, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, came into the possession of the Ormsby family through the marriage of Robert Ormsby, son of Robert Ormsby of Redhills, county Mayo, and Jane, sister and heir of Thomas Waldron of Rocksavage. Their great grandson Robert Watt Ormsby sold the property in the 19th century and died in London. The Ormsbys of Bob's Grove appear to be the same family as the Rocksavage Ormsbys.|