Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ievers (Mountievers)


Name Description
Ievers (Mountievers) The first member of this family to settle in county Clare in the 1640s was Henry Ievers. He was a clerk of the King’s Commissioners for settling quit rents and was granted over a thousand acres counties Clare and Galway in 1667 and a further 2,000 acres in 1678. Further lands were purchased from the Chichester House Commissioners in 1703. Henry Ievers' grandson, another Henry Ievers, built Mount Ievers, designed by John Rotherey, close to the village of Sixmilebridge. George Ievers was the sixth son of the original Henry Ievers, clerk, and from him descend the Ievers of Castle Ievers, county Limerick, who appear to have come into possession of Mount Ievers as well. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation almost all the Ievers estate in county Clare was in the parish of Kilfinaghta, barony of Bunratty Upper. Eyre Ievers held Mount Ievers from his brother James at this time. By the 1870s Henry A. and Mildrid Ievers of Mount Ievers owned 282 and 501 acres respectively and John A. Ievers of Ieverstown owned 420 acres in the county. The family still live in the house.
Wilton Brian Ó Dálaigh speculates that the Ievers may have sold the townlands of Mountievers, Clogga and Ballyliddan East, parish of Kilfinaghta, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare, to "Lord" Joseph Wilton in the mid 18th century. Joseph Wilton (1722-1803), a well known sculptor of the 18th century, whose monuments include that of Lady Anne Dawson at Dartrey, county Monaghan, married a Lucas and his marriage may possibly have been his link with county Clare. He commissioned the mapping of the village of Sixmilebridge and surrounding townlands circa 1760. Thomas Westropp made a rough tracing of this map in 1911 which is now in the Royal Irish Academy.
Ievers (Castle Ievers) George Ievers of Athlacca, county Limerick, was the sixth son of Henry Ivers, clerk of the King's Commissioners for settling quit rents at the end of the 17th century. He married a Seward of county Cork and his eldest son, Robert, resided at Castle Ievers. From Robert's third son, Richard, descend the Castle Ievers branch of the family and from his fourth son, George, the Mount Ievers family. Richard Ievers married Elizabeth Holmes and their son, Robert Holmes Ievers and two further generations of Robert Holmes Ievers lived at Castle Ievers. Richard Ievers, the second son of Richard and Elizabeth Ievers, lived at Greenpark. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Robert H. Ievers held land in the parishes of Grean, barony of Coonagh and Athlacca, barony of Coshma. The lands in the parish of Athlacca were held from Anthony B. St Leger, Lady Langford and William Maunsell. In the 1870s Robert Ivers of Castle Ivers owned 1,104 acres in county Limerick. Lands belonging to this estate were sold in the Landed Estates court in 1871 to Michael Murphy.