Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Cronin (Park)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Cronin (Park) The Cronins, descended from a Gaelic family, appear to have been settled in the Killarney area since at least the early 18th century. The estate amounted to over 10,000 acres in Kerry by the 1870s following Daniel Cronin’s inheriting of the Coltsmann (Flesk Castle) estate in the mid-19th century. The representatives of Henry M. Cronin were the proprietors of over 700 acres at the same time. In 1854, over 7000 acres of this estate, in which members of the Coltsmann and Godfrey families also had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Purchasers of lots included Denis Shine Lawlor, The McGillycuddy and Dr. Maybury as well as lands purchased in trust. Further property, mostly in county Cork, was offered for sale in October of the same year. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Daniel Cronin was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Killaha, Kilnanare and Nohavaldaly, county Kerry, as well as the parish of Kilmocomoge, barony of Bantry, county Cork. His sister, Christina Duggan, formerly Cronin, was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilnanare, Molahiffe and Nohavaldaly, barony of Magunihy, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. In the 1870s she was the proprietor of over 700 acres in county Kerry. For over a century the Cronins had a lease from the Crown of lands in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. When the lease expired in the early 1830s the property was placed in the care of the Commissioners of Woods and Forests.
Coltsmann The Coltsmann estate originated with John Coltsmann, an English merchant who came to Ireland in the early nineteenth century. Some of his family married into well-known Kerry families including the Godfreys and the Cronins. The estate eventually passed into the latter family who took the name Cronin-Coltsmann. In July 1854, over 7000 acres of the Cronin estate, in which members of the Coltsmann and Godfrey families also had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Most of this acreage was in the barony of Duhallow, county Cork, and included houses and premises in Killarney, county Kerry. The same property was advertised for sale again in October of the same year and part of it again in February 1855. Daniel C. Coltsmann was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilcummin, Kilnanare and Nohovaldaly, barony of Magunihy and the parish of Killeentierna, barony of Trughanacmy, county Kerry at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, while his county Cork estate was in parishes of Kilmeen and Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow. The estate amounted to over 10,000 acres in Kerry in the 1870s as well as over 4000 acres in county Cork. Catherine Coltsmann, of Dublin, owned over 2000 acres in county Kerry at the same time.
Commissioners of Woods and Forests In the first half of the 19th century the Commissioners of Woods and Forests, a state department, held land from the Crown in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, which they improved by various drainage schemes and other experimental improvements. At the time of Griffith's Valuation they held 5 townlands in the parish. The Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues 1856, published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145 records the purchase of parts of the Kingwilliamstown estate by Nicholas Dunscombe (1,063 acres), Richard Tuohill (1,013 acres), James William Mackey (789 acres), Charles Mackey (587 acres) and Vincent Scully MP (1,014 acres). Kingswilliamstown and Glencollins Upper and Lower, were bought by Vincent Scully who sold them on in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1858 to Nicholas Dunscombe. By the mid 1870s the Commissioners of Woods and Forests only owned 25 acres in county Cork.
Duggan (Kilmeen) The Duggans were established at Mount Infant, parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork in the early 18th century. Daniel Duggan supported the Jacobite cause in the 1690s and from him descend Daniel and Henry Duggan. Daniel had a son Denis who married in 1756 Frances Galwey of Enniskeane and their son Daniel succeeded to the estate of his great uncle Daniel Cronin at Park, Killarney, county Kerry. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Duggan held at least 7 townlands in the parish of Kilmeen, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, while Arthur Duggan held land in the parish of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow. In the 1870s Henry Duggan of Monkstown, owned 1,592 acres and Daniel Duggan of Dublin owned 533 acres in county Cork.
Cronin [Crone] Griffith's Valuation records James N. Cronin holding two neighbouring townlands Broomhill and Cloonkilla, in the parish of Kilgullane, barony of Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork. This may be James Norbett Crone (1788-1853) a son of Robert Fennell Crone and his wife Martha Norbett.