Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Scott (Cahiracon)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Woodcock and Stanford In the 1850s Mary Woodcock and George Stamfort/Stanford/Stainforth(?) held an estate comprised of five townlands in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey these lands were in the possession of the Stauntons. The representatives of Woodcock and Stanford owned 2,049 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. This estate, the property of Mary Hall and others, was advertised for sale on 25 November 1879. The sale included lands at Ballyconree and Harbour Hill (793 acres), barony of Burren in county Clare, at Rathmore, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon and premises in the town of Galway. Three lots were offered for sale again in February 1880 but only one, Muckrush, in the parish of Annaghdown, county Galway was sold. The purchaser was J. Byrne. Members of the Newell family were in possession of untenanted land at Woodpark in 1906.
Scott (Cahiracon) In 1712 the Earl of Thomond leased Cahercon/Cahiracon, parish of Kilfiddane, and Killadysert, parish of Killadysert, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare, to Angel Scott in perpetuity. In 1781 Captain James Scott married Anne Bindon. The Scotts continued to reside at Cahiracon until the mid 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Bindon Scott, High Sheriff of county Clare 1840, held an estate mainly located in the parishes of Kilchreest, Kilfiddane, Killadysert, Kilmihil and Killard, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare. He also held land in the parishes of Quin, barony of Bunratty Upper, Abbey, barony of Burren and Rath and Ruan, barony of Inchiquin. Some of his lands in the baronies of Clonderlaw, county Clare, Iraghticonor, county Kerry, and in Limerick City, were sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in November 1851. Lands in the parishes of Rath and Ruan the estate of the Honourable Joseph D. Jackson and John Scott trustees of William Scott were offered for sale in March 1853. In November 1854 over 8,500 acres belonging to John Bindon Scott were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. The sale rentals include lithographs of Cahircon, Knappogue Castle and Quin Abbey. John Bindon Scott of Cahircon and Crevagh married Eliza Creagh of Cahirbane and they had a son James Creagh Richard Scott. The Scotts lived at Creevagh Beg in the parish of Quin in the later part of the 19th century. James C.R. Scott married Mary Ferguson of Dumbarton, Scotland in 1878. In the 1870s John [James?] C. Scott with an address at the Conservative Club, London, owned 6,431 acres in county Clare. The Scotts held about 450 acres at Faha, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, see sale rental of 23 June 1871.
White (Cahiracon) The Whites of Woodlands, county Dublin, Rathcline, county Longford, Lareen, county Leitrim, Cahircon, county Clare all descend from Luke White, a Dublin bookseller and lottery agent. In the mid 19th century his fourth son Colonel Henry White held an estate comprised of at least 24 townlands in the parishes of Abbey, Drumcreehy and Rathborney, barony of Burren, county Clare which he bought from the Duke of Buckingham circa 1848. The Whites also bought some of the Scott of Cahiracon estate and the Westropp of Attyflin estate, both in county Clare. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Colonel held an estate in the county Limerick parishes of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, Newcastle, barony of Glenquin, Cloncagh, Cloncrew, Dromcolleher and Kilmeedy, barony of Connello Upper, as well as his county Clare estates. In 1863 the Colonel was raised to the peerage as Baron Annaly of Annaly and Rathcline, county Longford. He was succeeded by his eldest son Luke as 2nd Baron in 1873. His fifth son Charles William White of Cahiracon, Killadysert and Annaly Lodge, Broadford, inherited the county Clare estates comprised of 18,226 acres plus 5,731 acres in county Tipperary. In 1878 Charles William White sold the Broadford estate, barony of Tulla Lower to John Lecky Phelps. In the 1870s Lord Annaly of Woodlands (Luttrellstown), Clonsilla, county Dublin, owned 5,428 acres in county Limerick, 12,600 acres in county Longford and 2,139 acres in county Dublin. In 1906 Baron Annaly held untenanted land in the parish of Kilcooly, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary.
Kelly/Roche Kelly Descended from an O’Kelly of county Kilkenny, the Kelly family were established in county Limerick by the early 18th century. In 1753 Michael Kelly married Christian, daughter of John Roche of Limerick and Ballintlea, parish of Kilfintinan, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare. They had two sons, John Peter Kelly of Ballintlea and Firgrove, parish of Drumline, barony of Bunratty Lower, who purchased the estates of the Ingoldsby Massy family in county Limerick in 1811 and Thomas Kelly, of Shannonview, county Limerick, who died in 1869 leaving two daughters. John Peter's son, James Michael Kelly of Rockstown Castle, county Limerick and Cahircon, county Clare, was Member of Parliament for county Limerick 1844-1847 and in 1834 married Frances Maria, only daughter of Edward Roche of Trabolgan, county Cork and sister of the 1st Baron Fermoy. She directed that all her grandchildren should adopt the surname Roche-Kelly. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Kelly held an estate in the parishes of Caherelly, Ludden and Rochestown, barony of Clanwilliam and Fedamore in the baronies of Clanwilliam and Smallcounty. In the 1870s his representative owned 2177 acres in county Limerick, 2826 acres in county Kildare and 433 acres in county Dublin. By the 1870s Fitzjames Kelly of Ballintlea owned 184 acres in county Clare while Michael Kelly of Firgrove owned 158 acres. An estate of 1,700 acres in county Mayo, belonging to Michael Roche-Kelly of Firgrove, Bunratty, county Clare, was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 11 Dec 1913. Members of the Roche-Kelly family still reside at Ballintlea.
Macnamara (Moyriesk) The Macnamaras were settled at Moyriesk, parish of Clooney, barony of Bunratty Upper, county Clare from the 17th century. In 1684 John Macnamara received a grant of 2,370 acres in the barony of Bunratty, including Moyriesk. Colonel Francis Macnamara was Member of Parliament for county Clare 1790-1798. His son was the well known duellist John "Fireball" Macnamara. His hell raising caused the loss of the family estates. In 1837 Lewis writes that Moriesk was bought by the father of Lord Fitzgerald and Vesci from the Macnamaras and that Knopouge Castle, then in the hands of William Scott, formerly belonged to the Macnamaras of Moriesk.
Ryan (Cloonnakilla) At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Ryan, a doctor, was living at Cloonnakilla, parish of Kilchreest, county Clare. He held the house and 246 acres from John Bindon Scott. By the 1870s John Ryan of Cloonnakilla owned 1,340 acres in county Clare and 263 acres in county Dublin. Dr Ryan had 2 children Mary and Michael who married brother and sister John Joseph and Helen Mary Blackall of Killard, county Clare. Michael Ryan had one daughter.