Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Jackson (Killaguile)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Martin (Ross) The Martin family were established beside Ross Lake in the barony of Moycullen, county Galway, from the late 16th century, where they purchased land from the O'Flahertys. They were Royalist supporters and were dispossessed of their property in the city of Galway by the Cromwellians. Robert Martin received a grant of 2,909 acres in the barony of Moycullen, by patent dated 21 Aug 1677. Jasper Martin of Ross, who died in 1700, had two sons Jasper and Richard, from whom descend the two branches of the family settled at Ross and Ballynahinch. Nicholas Martin, who died in 1811, married Elizabeth O'Hara, daughter of Robert O'Hara of Lenaboy, and according to Burke's ''Landed Gentry'', a grandniece of James O'Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley. Their grandson, James Martin of Ross, had sixteen children from his two marriages. His daughter, Maud, married H. Callwell and they were the parents of the author, J. M. Callwell. The youngest daughter of James Martin was Violet Florence Martin of the well known literary team Somerville and Ross. The Martins of Ross owned 5,767 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. They advertised the sale of their estate in the Landed Estates' Court in May 1885.
Jackson (Killaguile) In the 1850s James E. Jackson held the townland of Killaguile, parish of Killannin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway. He bought the property in August 1853 from Robert Martin of nearby Ross House and later built a house at Killaguile, which is now known as the Ross Lake House Hotel. James Edward Jackson (1824-1907), was the son of the Reverend James E. Jackson, rector of Ardee, county Louth and later Dean of Armagh. In 1863 he married Madeline Bushe of Dublin, daughter of Judge Arthur Bushe and granddaughter of Chief Justice Charles Kendal Bushe. They had a large family and he died in 1907. Marian Martin, sister of Robert Martin of Ross, was the second wife of Judge Arthur Bushe. http://www.rosslakehotel.com/