Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Johnson (Ballymoe)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Glancy/Glancey At the time of Griffith's Valuation various members of the Glancy family were leasing property in the parish of Ballintober, barony of Castlereagh. By the 1870s James Glancy is recorded as the owner of almost 2000 acres in county Roscommon.
Johnson (Ballymoe) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Sir William 'Johnston' , Member of Parliament for Belfast in 1841, held an estate in the parishes of Oran and Drumatemple, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon, which had previously belonged to his father in law. In 1849 Sir William Gillilan Johnson married Jane daughter of Thomas Hughes of Fisherwick, county Antrim. In the 1870s Lady Johnson of College Square North, Belfast owned 4,332 acres in county Roscommon and 189 acres in county Antrim. Edwin Hughes of Dalchoolin, county Down, a relative of Thomas Hughes, owned untenanted land in the parish of St Peters, barony of Athlone in 1906.
Hughes (Co Roscommon) The Hughes family appear to have connections with county Sligo and to have been resident at Beechwood in county Roscommon from at least the 1730s. Edward Stewart Gray records Blashford Hughes of Beechwood as High Sheriff of county Sligo in 1738. Taylor and Skinner record Beechwood as the residence of Hughes esquire and a deed in the National Library of Ireland, dated 1783 and involving the Wynne estate, would suggest that Beechwood was the residence of Henry Hughes at that time. The maps in the Public Record Office of Ireland of the Hughes estate in the parishes of Drumatempel and Oran, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon refer to the estate of Thomas Hughes of county Antrim. His daughter married Sir William G. Johnson. It is not clear if this is the same Hughes family as that of Beechwood.