Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Johnson (Ballymoe)

At the time of Griffith's Valuation Sir William 'Johnston' , Member of Parliament for Belfast in 1841, held an estate in the parishes of Oran and Drumatemple, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon, which had previously belonged to his father in law. In 1849 Sir William Gillilan Johnson married Jane daughter of Thomas Hughes of Fisherwick, county Antrim. In the 1870s Lady Johnson of College Square North, Belfast owned 4,332 acres in county Roscommon and 189 acres in county Antrim. Edwin Hughes of Dalchoolin, county Down, a relative of Thomas Hughes, owned untenanted land in the parish of St Peters, barony of Athlone in 1906.

No houses were found for this estate

Archival sources

  • Rentals of Lady Johnson's estates in county Roscommon. T2848; National Archives of Ireland
  • Two manuscript maps of the Hughes estate in Co Roscommon, 1837. D/2594/2/1 & 1A; Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
  • Includes lease of lands of Killer, barony of Ballymoe, Lady Jane Johnson nee Hughes to James Glancy of Frenchlawn, 23 Oct 1854. D7915-7955; National Library of Ireland
  • Rentals & estate accounts of Lady Jane Johnson's Roscommon estates, c 1805-1959. D/2269; Public Record Office, Northern Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources