Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Nugent

Family title

Earl of Westmeath


Estate(s)

Name Description
Nugent (Pallas) In 1677 Thomas Nugent was granted an estate of 3,250 acres in the baronies of Leitrim and Longford, county Galway, including Pallace. In 1824 Lord Riverston and Arthur Nugent of Flower Hill are described as resident proprietors in county Galway. Property at Pallas and Spring Garden were occupied by Anthony F. Nugent at the time of Griffith's Valuation. This branch of the Nugent family was related to the Earls of Westmeath and that title passed to them in the 1870s. As Earl of Westmeath, Anthony F. Nugent owned over 14,000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s as well as property in county Roscommon in the parish of Ogulla, barony of Roscommon. Michael Nugent, with an address in Brussels, owned over 900 acres at the same time. Following the 1903 Land Act the Nugent estate in the baronies of Leitrim and Longford was sold to the tenants. In 1906 the Hon. Richard A. Nugent held over 200 acres of untenanted demesne land at Rockfield, Greethill, Athenry as well as the mansion house there valued at £27. The Earl of Westmeath owned about 1200 acres of untenanted land at Pallas in 1906. 1,133 acres of the county Roscommon estate of Lord Westmeath was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 14 Oct 1908. In 1912 the Earl of Westmeath accepted an offer on over 6000 acres of his Galway estate from the Congested Districts Board.
Greville-Nugent William Fulke Greville was the second son of Fulke Greville of Wiltshire, a grandson of the 5th Baron Brooke. He married Meliora, daughter of the Honourable and Reverend Richard Southwell. The Grevilles county Limerick estate was leased to the Reverend Richard Southwell on 29 May 1731. In 1840 William F. Greville's grandson, Fulke Southwell Greville, created 1st Lord Greville in 1869, married the only child of George Thomas John Nugent, 8th Earl of Westmeath. He assumed the surname Greville-Nugent in 1866. He was a principal lessor in the parishes of Kiltullagh, barony of Castlereagh, Kilglass and Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North and Aughrim, barony of Roscommon, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Almost 6,000 acres of the Castlereagh estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1858. In the 1870s Lord Greville's estate amounted to almost 4000 acres in county Roscommon. Griffith's Valuation also records Foulke S. Greville holding land in the county Cork parishes of Clonpriest, Ightermurragh and Titeskin, barony of Imokilly and William Greville holding land in the parish of Clonagh, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick. This land in the parish of Clonagh, the estate of the Marquis of Westmeath and others, trustees of the will of William Fulke Greville deceased, was advertised for sale in November 1861 with lands in the barony of Imokilly, county Cork. The total acreage amounted to 3,192 acres. Most of these lands and a large estate of over 4,000 acres in county Cavan were offered for sale again in May 1864. Lord Greville's main estate was at Cloyn Castle, near Delvin, in county Westmeath where he owned nearly 10,000 acres as well as over 1,900 acres in county Cavan.
Nugent In April 1678 Richard Nugent Earl of Westmeath was granted an estate of over 11,000 acres in the baronies of Longford and Ballynahinch, county Galway and Ballintober, county Roscommon. In 1680 he sold his lands in the barony of Ballynahinch to Henry Blake. George Thomas John Nugent, 8th Earl was created Marquess of Westmeath in 1822. When he died in 1871, without male heirs, the earldom passed to his cousin Lord Riverston of Pallas.