Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Neville


Estate(s)

Name Description
Neville Anne Neville is recorded as one of the principal lessors of property in the parish of Ardcarn, barony of Boyle, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. A Mrs. Neville, with an address at Stradbally, county Laois (Queen's county) is listed by Hussey de Burgh as the owner of over 300 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. The Landowners Survey published in 1876 records her as the owner of over 700 acres. There is also some evidence that a Rev. Brent Neville served as a clergyman in Roscommon in the 1850s. H. Neville of Cork was the holder of several townlands in the parish of Ardcarn, barony of Boyle at the time of the first Ordnance Survey in the 1830s. The Peyton family of Knockdrehid acted as agents.
Neville In 1810 Henrietta Dering, a widow and daughter and co-heir of Richard Neville of Furness, county Kildare, married Sir William Geary, 2nd Baronet. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Lady Geary and [her sister] Miss [Marianne] Neville owned an estate in the parishes of Aglishdrinagh, Cooliney and Rathgoggan, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. This county Cork estate came into the possession of the Nevilles through the marriage in 1772 of Lady Geary's parents, Richard Neville of Furnass and Bridget, only daughter of Henry Bowerman of Cooliney.
Bowerman In 1668 Cornet Henry Bowerman was granted 1,418 acres in the barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork, including Couleeny. The Bowermans continued to own Cooliney until the late 18th century when it appears to have passed by marriage to the Neville family of Furnass, county Kildare. Bridget, daughter of Henry Bowerman of Cooliney, married Richard Neville in 1772. The Irish Tourist Association survey noted that "Henry Bowerman of Cooline" was MP for Charleville in the 1690s.