In 1668 Cornet Henry Bowerman was granted 1,418 acres in the barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork, including Couleeny. The Bowermans continued to own Cooliney until the late 18th century when it appears to have passed by marriage to the Neville family of Furnass, county Kildare. Bridget, daughter of Henry Bowerman of Cooliney, married Richard Neville in 1772. The Irish Tourist Association survey noted that "Henry Bowerman of Cooline" was MP for Charleville in the 1690s.
- Irish Tourist Association survey files, Parish of Ballyhea; Cork County Library
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''15th Annual Report of the Commissioners of Public Records Ireland,'' 1825. Vol XVI, Appendix I, Grants under Acts of Settlement: 185
Modern printed sources
- MONTGOMERY-MASSINGBERD, Hugh (ed). ''Burke's Irish Family Records''. London: Burke's Peerage, 1976: 877-880
- HAJBA, Anna-Maria. ''Historical Genealogical Architectural notes on some Houses of Cork. Volume I: North Cork''. Whitegate: Ballinakella Press, 2002: 127
- ''Jnl. of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society''.: Argan Mór. Gibbings and Bowerman of Cooliney. Ser. 2, Vol. I, (1895), pp. 238-239, pp. 426-427