Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Maxwell (St. Cleran's)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Burke (St. Cleran's) John Hardiman Burke was in possession of the St.Cleran's estate in the 1850s. He had succeeded his father James Hardiman Burke in 1854. The latter had held substantial lands in the parishes of Killora and Lickerrig, barony of Dunkellin from the 1830s to the 1850s at least. The agent for these lands in the 1830s was Mr. Lambert of Ballinrobe. The OS Name Books also record James H. Burke as a proprietor of lands in the parish of Ardrahan in the 1830s. His youngerst daughter, Mrs Anne Celestine Maxwell (nee Burke) of St Clerans owned 4156 acres in the 1870s. Her brother, Robert O'Hara Burke, was the leader of an ill-fated expedition to find a route through Australia from south to north, during which he perished in 1861.
Maxwell (St. Cleran's) Mrs. Anne Maxwell (nee Burke), whose address is given as St. Cleran's, Craughwell, is recorded as the owner of over 4000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1906 she was in possession of over 600 acres of untenanted land at St.Cleran's together with the mansion house valued at £46. She was the sister of John Hardiman Burke, the owner of this estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation. She had married firstly Major Francis de Vere, of Curragh Chase, county Limerick, who died in 1865. In 1873, she married Reverend Charleton Maxwell.