Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Geraghty


Estate(s)

Name Description
Frewen In 1850 Thomas Frewen of Brickwall House, Sussex, purchased two townlands in the parish of Omey, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway from the sale of the D'Arcy estate for sporting purposes. The Frewens were also supporters of the Irish Church Missions. They later acquired two townlands in the parish of Moyrus from Samuel Jones and Munga in the parish of Ballindoon from John Geraghty, who had a 999 year lease from the O'Neills. In 1870 Moreton Frewen inherited his father's estate of 2709 acres in Connemara. Moreton Frewen was a colourful personality who married one of the Jerome sisters of New York and at one time had one of the largest cattle ranches in the United States of America. In 1917 he transferred his Connemara estate to his nephew, Layton Frewen, from whom it was eventually purchased by the Land Commission. A distinctly related branch of this family had purchased the Adderley estate at Innishannon, county Cork, by the mid 19th century.
Geraghty At the time of Griffith's Valuation the townland of Munga, parish of Ballindoon, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, was held by John Geraghty on a 999 year lease from the O'Neills of Bunowen Castle. In the 1870s John Geraghty is recorded as owning 850 acres in county Galway. He sold his interest in Munga to the Frewens in the late 19th century.