Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dick

Description

The Right Honourable William Wentworth Fitzwilliam Hume Dick was a son of William Hoare Hume of Humewood, county Wicklow and Charlotte daughter of Samuel Dick of Dublin. He was succeeded by his nephew Captain Quintin Hume Dick in 1892.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Handcock Patrick Melvin writes that Carrowntryla was originally a Burke property, which was sold in 1753 to Anne Henry, widow of Hugh Henry, a Dublin banker, who died in 1743. Carrowntryla passed to William Henry who had an only daughter, Anne, who married William Handcock in 1802. These Handcocks shared a common ancestor with the Barons Castlemaine and both William Handcock's father and grandfather were clergymen. There was a legal dispute over the Handcock succession to the Carrownatryla estate. The Handcock estate was situated in the parishes of Addergoole, Dunmore, Tuam and Boyounagh in the baronies of Dunmore, Ballymoe and Clare, county Galway. William Henry Handcock married Catherine Josephine Kelly and left three daughters at the time of his death in 1842. In 1851 part of the estate was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court. The purchaser was Patrick Nolan, in trust. A dispute arose over ownership of the estate in the 1850s between John Delacour and John Stratford Handcock. Delacour was compensated but this eventually led to the sale of the estate in the mid 1890s to the mortgagees, Sir Henry Lopes and the representatives of Mr Fitzwilliam Dick. In the 1870s John Handcock's estate in county Galway amounted to 7,865 acres. Major Gerald Stratford Handcock bought back the house and a hundred acres in 1928.
Dick The Carrowntryla estate of the Handcock family near Dunmore, county Galway, was mortgaged to Sir Henry Lopez and Mr Fitzwilliam Hume Dick and was taken over by them in 1897. W.W. Fitzwilliam Hume Dick had died in 1892 and his nephew and heir Captian Quintin Hume Dick bought out the other mortgagee. Captain Dick is recorded as occupying Carrowntryla in 1904 and 1906. James Greaney writes that the Land Commission took over the estate in 1914.