Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Devereux


Estate(s)

Name Description
Burke (Killimer) This branch of the Burke family is known as Burke of Slatefield, deriving from their connection with Slatefield in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Leitrim, county Galway. Following the departure of the Dalys from Killimor it was leased by the Burkes for much of the 19th century. In 1824 Hyacinth Burke is listed as one of the resident proprietors in county Galway. In the 1870s, the Burkes held over 700 acres in the parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo and 185 acres in county Galway.
Daly (Killimordaly) This branch of the Dalys are derived from Teige Fitzdermot O'Daly who built Killimor Castle in the 1620s. In the 1790s, the Daly estate, from which Killimordaly gets its name, passed to Anastasia Daly who married John Devereux of Ballyrankin, county Wexford. Their son, Rev. Nicholas Devereux, was the landlord of a substantial estate around Killimordaly before and after the Famine. Clooncagh is recorded as the residence of Thomas Daly in 1814. In June 1854 the Clooncah (also spelt Cloncha and Cloncagh) estate of Phillip Daly was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. An earlier sale in March 1854 had included Daly lands at Duckloon, barony of Kilconnell. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Rathville House in the parish of Killimordaly was leased by John Daly to John H. Blake. John Daly was one of the principal lessors in the parish.
Devereux Reverend Nicholas Devereux was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Killimordaly, barony of Kilconnell, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He was the son of Anastasia Daly and John Devereux of Ballyrankin, county Wexford. Burkes Landed Gentry states that he sold the property at Killimor to Lord Dunsandle in 1860.