Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hodson


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fair (Clonbur) The Fair family were established at Cloonbur, barony of Ross, county Galway, from the late 18th century. They were agents to the Berminghams and Earls of Leitrim of Rosshill, from whom they leased a number of townlands. The Blakes described a night spent in the half built house of Mr Fair in 1823. Later generations of the Fairs entered the legal profession and were involved in the law firm of Fair and Murtagh of Athlone and Moate, county Westmeath. Through marriage with a Hodson they were also party to a number of land transactions in the Athlone area. Some members of the family are buried in Rosshill cemetery and the Lynch family, descendants of the Fairs, run the Fairhill Hotel.
Hodson/Hutson/Hudson A family descended from Bishop John Hodson of Elphin and closely connected to the Hodson family of Hollybrook, county Wicklow, baronets. In the 1830s the gentleman's seat at Tooloobaun is recorded as the property of Mr. Hutson. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, John R. Hudson was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilconickny, barony of Athenry. In November 1870 over 200 acres at Tooloobane, barony of Athenry, the property of Henry Hodson, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates court. The Irish Times reported that this property was sold to Lord Ashtown for £4,500. Over 1000 acres belonging to this estate, located in the barony of Kilconnell, were offered for sale at the same time. It would appear that the Johnston family, who had leased large sections of the Kilconnell estate, purchased some of it at this time. O'Gorman notes that Johnson held a lease for three lives of Hodson property in the 1850s and acquired the entire estate in the 1870s.
Hodson (Athlone) The Hodsons appear to have been resident at St Johns, near Athlone from at least the early 18th century. Edward Stewart Gray writes that Jane Hodson, daughter of John Hodson of St Johns and granddaughter of Colonel Daniel Hodson married James Irwin of Roxborough, county Roscommon, High Sheriff 1731. The Hodsons held land in the parishes of Kiltoom and St Johns, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. Some family members were clergymen of the Church of Ireland and they are stated to have been descended from Bishop John Hodson of Elphin. In the 1870s Edward Hodson of Hodson's Bay owned 35 acres in county Roscommon and Edward and John Hodson of Twyford, Athlone, county Westmeath, each owned 90 acres in county Roscommon.
Bond (Carrownure) The Bonds were descended from a Presbyterian minister who settled in county Longford in the mid 18th century. In the 1830s and 1850s Richard Wensley Bond held an estate in the parish of St Johns, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. He held it from the Hodsons who had a lease in perpetuity from St George Caulfield dated 1764. Richard W. Bond was the second son of the Very Reverend Wensley Bond, Dean of Ross, and he married Sophia, daughter of Reverend James Bond of Lecarrow, county Roscommon. By the mid 1850s the Bonds were in financial difficulties and their estate at Knockneconnor, Galeybeg, Lecarrow and Carrownure was advertised for sale with some land in county Westmeath. Carrownure was bought by Edward John Irwin in 1857 who sold it to Bernard Bagot of the Castlekelly family the following year. Carrownure remained in the possession of the Bagot family until 1903 when it was purchased by the Auchmutys. Knockneconnor was advertised for sale again in May 1876. In November 1877 over 1000 acres in the barony of Boyle and also in county Leitrim, owned by William & Mary Bond, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates court.