Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Blackstock


Estate(s)

Name Description
Knott (Battlefield) The Knott family held lands in various parts of the barony of Corran. Lands at Emlanaghtan, in the possession of the Knott and Handy families, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in June 1857. In January 1859 lands at Tawnagh, barony of Corran, the property of William Phibbs Knott, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. James Knott of Battlefield owned almost 1000 acres in the 1870s with other members of the Knott family owning lesser amounts. In 1912 an offer from the Congested Districts Board was accepted by M. O'Malley Knott for the sale of over 250 acres of the estate. Richard Gorman, who held a herd's property and 57 acres from the Knott estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation, may have purchased some land later. In the early twentieth century the Congested Districts Board acquired almost 600 acres of his property.
Hardy (Dartfield) Joseph Hardy was a farmer who rented large amounts of land from Lord Dunsandle. This included over 200 acres at Magheramore, in the parish of Killimorbologue in the barony of Longford, county Galway. This property also included a corn-mill. In 1856 Hardy was leasing houses and 360 acres from Thomas Blackstock in the townlands of Attikee and Kill in the parish of Kiltormer, also in the barony of Longford. In the 1880s he took over the Dartfield estate previously owned by the Blakes. He wa involved in a prolonged dispute with the herds who worked on the estate over employment rights.
Blackstock In 1856 Thomas Blackstock was leasing properties in various parishes in the barony of Longford, county Galway. He in turn was the lessor of houses and over 360 acres in the parish of Kiltormer to Joseph Hardy. In 1858 Thomas Blackstock bought just over 400 acres at Aughrim, straddling the three baronies of Kilconnell, Clonmacnowen and Leitrim for £1,805 from William Phibbs Knott and his wife Ruth, orginally part of the Handy estate. This property was inherited by Mary Elizabeth Johnston, daughter of Thomas Blackstock. O'Gorman notes that Blackstock also acted as agent for John Pelly Geoghegan's estates in the parish of Fohenagh.
Digges (Kiltormer) Lewis records Chilhame House, parish of Kiltormer, as the seat of the Digges family in 1837. Genealogical information would seem to suggest that the Digges family were connected with the Sandys family by marriage. The Digges family in England were the owners of Chilham House in Kent.
Johnstone (Williamstown) In the 1870s William Johnstone of the Rent Office, Williamstown, county Galway, owned 584 acres in the parish of Templetogher, barony of Ballymoe, part of the estate of the McDermotts of Springfield at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He purchased his Williamstown estate from the Connollys in 1860. William Johnstone had a brother Captain John Johnstone, who owned an estate in county Cavan. William Johnsone's nephew Robert Henry succeeded to both the Williamstown and county Cavan properties. Robert Henry Johnstone was also a land agent and by the early 20th century controlled a number of estates in both counties Galway and Cavan. A strong supporter of the Orange Order he became heavily embroiled in disputes with tenants over land ownership. William Keaveney has written a book about Johnstone's treatment of tenants on his wife's estate at Aughrim and his own estate at Williamstown, county Galway. This surname is sometimes spelt Johnston in historical records.