Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Kelly (Creeraun)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Browne (Ardskea & Cooloo) In a Browne genealogy in the James Hardiman Library, NUI,Galway, the ancestry of this branch of the Browne family is traced back to Dominick Browne of Barna, Mayor of Galway in 1575. In 1677 Edward and James Browne were granted Ardskea and other lands in the parish of Kilmoylan, in the barony of Clare, county Galway, under the Acts of Settlement. Family members intermarried with the Brownes of Tuam, the Kirwans, O'Connors, O'Kellys and the Nolans. The Brownes were still resident on their Ardskea estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1890 James Browne sold over 800 acres of his Ardskea estate in the Land Judges' Court. The petitioner was Emmanuel Churcher. This Browne family also owned estates in the barony of Tiaquin, at Cooloo in the parish of Moylough, at Carrownacregg West in the parish of Killoscobe and in the parish and barony of Ross. By the 1870s Cooloo was in the possession of Michael O'Kelly.
Kilkelly (Summerville) An estate, centred on the house originally known as Thomastown and later as Summerville, was in the possession of Daniel Moore Kilkelly in the 19th century. When advertised for sale by D.M. Kilkelly’s widow in the mid 1850s the estate consisted of 1,418 acres in the parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. A small portion of the estate including Summerville was advertised for sale again in 1864 by Maria E. Kilkelly and Anthony O’Kelly.
O'Kelly (Creeraun) Teige Kelly was granted 191 acres in Creeraun, parish of Ballymacward, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, by patent under the Acts of Settlement dated 1 July 1678. The sale rental of 1857 states that a portion of the lands of Creeran known as 'Burke's Seventeen Acres' was held on a lease in perpetuity from Thomas Burke to Michael Kelly of Creeran, dated 17 Aug 1734. Michael O'Kelly is recorded as the resident landowner of Creeraun in 1814 and 1824. In 1805 he married Margaret Bellew and 206 acres of Derrynasee, parish of Kiltoom, county Roscommon, part of her dowry, subsequently became O'Kelly property. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Michael O'Kelly held in fee the Mountsilk estate in the parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. In 1838 Michael's son Anthony married Catherine Browne of Ardskea and their son Michael married a Browne cousin of Cooloo. In 1857, 449 acres belonging to Anthony O'Kelly at Creeraun, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway and at Derrynasee, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. Anthony's mother Margaret O'Kelly was the petitioner. Edward Browne of Cooloo purchased the Creeraun acreage. Anthony O'Kelly is recorded as one of the owners of part of the Kilkelly's Summerville estate offered for sale in June 1864. He had bought Moyloughbeg in 1856 from Daniel M. Kilkelly. In December 1865 the sale of Derrynasee was readvertised and appears to have been bought by Raymond P. Worthington. In the 1870s Anthony's son Michael O'Kelly of Cooloo, Barnaderg, owned 3,152 acres in county Galway, most of it in the barony of Ross and previously owned by his uncle Edward Browne. In 1882 Michael O'Kelly's estate of 3,393 acres in counties Galway, Mayo and Clare was advertised for sale. Members of the Kirwan family of Moyne were also parties to this sale. In June 1886 O'Kelly lands at Mountsilk were sold to Michael Charles Burke in the Land Judges' Court. In 1889 Cooloo, part of Creeraun and other lands in the barony of Tiaquin were offered for sale. The Bodkins of Kilclooney bought Creeraun. Many of the O'Kellys settled in Canada at the end of the 19th century and some became distinguished members of the British Army during World War I. On 16 March 1904 1,466 acres in county Galway belonging to the O'Kellys of Cooloo were vested in the Congested Districts' Board.
Worthington Raymond P. Worthington of Fleet Street, Dublin and 5 Rostrevor Terrace, Rathgar, Dublin, owned over 2,500 acres in county Roscommon and 500 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s. In 1906 he held untenanted lands in the county Roscommon parishes of Cam and Kiltoom, barony of Athlone, Tibohine, barony of Frenchpark and Kiltullagh and Kilkeevin, barony of Castlereagh. In October 1912 J.C. Worthington's county Roscommon estate of 3,366 acres was vested in the Congested Districts' Board while in 1914 he accepted an offer from the Congested Districts Board on the Sligo estate.