Landed Estates
NUI Galway



Name Description
Staunton/Lynch Staunton The Stauntons, originally from Buckinghamshire, England, settled in county Galway in the mid 17th century and were established on an estate centred at Cargin Castle in the barony of Clare by the early 18th century. 18th century members of the family were distinguished diplomats and Oriental scholars and absentee landlords. The estate was leased to the Frenchs of Monieva in the mid 18th century. The estate came back into Staunton possession in the 1780s and William Skerrett of Carrownacroagh acted as agent. Clydagh House was built in the early 1820s. The estate eventually passed to a member of the Lynch family of Duras to whom the Stauntons were connected by marriage. George Staunton Lynch took the additional surname of Staunton. The Lynch Stauntons also had 2 townlands in parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. Between the 1830s and mid 1850s Staunton lands in the parish of Annaghdown were sold to Mary Woodcock and George Stanfort. In the 1870s the Lynch Stauntons owned 1,395 acres in county Galway and 733 acres in county Mayo. Michael Carroll states that the house was burnt in 1922 and was sold by the Lynch Staunton family in 1947.
Woodcock and Stanford In the 1850s Mary Woodcock and George Stamfort/Stanford/Stainforth(?) held an estate comprised of five townlands in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey these lands were in the possession of the Stauntons. The representatives of Woodcock and Stanford owned 2,049 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. This estate, the property of Mary Hall and others, was advertised for sale on 25 November 1879. The sale included lands at Ballyconree and Harbour Hill (793 acres), barony of Burren in county Clare, at Rathmore, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon and premises in the town of Galway. Three lots were offered for sale again in February 1880 but only one, Muckrush, in the parish of Annaghdown, county Galway was sold. The purchaser was J. Byrne. Members of the Newell family were in possession of untenanted land at Woodpark in 1906.