Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Rochfort


Estate(s)

Name Description
Rochfort The Rochfort family were established at Clogrenan, parish of Cloydagh, county Carlow, from the early 18th century. They acquired lands in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway, through the marriage of John Rochfort and a daughter of Thomas Staunton, Member of Parliament, in 1722. A sale rental of estates in counties Galway and Wexford dated 1856 shows that most of the county Galway lands were held in fee simple but some were held on a lease dated 9 April 1781 from John Skerrett to John Rochford. The county Galway estate included a townland in the parish of Ahascragh, barony of Killian, also recorded as the property of Col. Rochfort in the Ordnance Survey Name Books. The barony of Clare estate was bought by a branch of the Blake family. John Egan was agent for the Rochfort estate in the 1830s and held one of the townlands at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
Blake (Annaghdown) An estate advertised for sale by the Rochforts in 1856 and bought by the Blakes of nearby Cregg Castle for a younger son, Rickard Blake. In the 1870s Richard Blake of Annaghdown owned 1,037 acres in the locality. Blake descendants continued to live at Annaghdown throughout the 20th century.