The Joyce family of Rahasane were connected with the Joyces of Mervue and also of Corgary. They held lands in the parishes of Annaghdown and Lackagh, barony of Clare in the 1850s. Lands owned by Walter Joyce in the baronies of Kilconnell and Loughrea, county Galway, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in April 1858. Thomas Appleyard Joyce's mansion and demesne lands at Rahasane as well as lands in the barony of Clare and property in the town of Galway, amounting to over 2000 acres in total, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in June 1871. Parts of his estate had also been offered for sale in February 1870. Among the purchasers at this sale were Messers. Ashworth, Lattey and Newman as well as other lots purchased in trust. The Irish Times reported that the only lot sold at the June 1871 sale was the mansion house and demesne at Rahasane, bought by Lt. Joyce of the 54th Regiment, for over £16,000. T.A. Joyce is still recorded as the owner of over 600 acres in county Galway later in the 1870s.
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Joyce estate, 22 April 1858, Vol 51, MRGS 39/025 (microfilm copy at NUIG). ; National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Joyce, 9 June 1871, Vol 102, MRGS 39/048, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Joyce, 4 February 1870, Vol 96, MRGS 39/046, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Ordnance survey maps marked to show the estate of Pierce J. Joyce in the barony of Clare, 1909. 999/263; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Gort Union: 112(Carrigeen West), 113 (Rahasane)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 296.
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 241.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 148.
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 357-358.
- GLIN, Knight of, GRIFFIN, D. J. & ROBINSON, N.K (eds).'' Vanishing Country Houses of Ireland''. Dublin: Irish Architectural Archive/Irish Georgian Society, 1989. : 78-79.
- BENCE-JONES, Mark. ''A Guide to Irish Country Houses''. Revised ed. London: Constable, 1988. : 301.
- ''The Blazer'': JOYCE, Walter. The Joyces of Rahasane. No.7 Christmas 1978
- ''Irish Times'': Landed Estates Court sale reports, 5 February 1870, p.4. 10 June 1871, p.5