Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Morris (Ballinaboy)

Through marriage with a member of the Lynch family the Morrises inherited a quarter part of the estate of the Frenchs of Errislannan, parish of Omey, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway. Once the Errislannan estate was officially divided in 1843 the Morris family built Ballinaboy House on their part of the division. Griffith's Valuation shows them holding 2 townlands in the parish of Ballindoon. They were ruined financially by the Famine and leased the land and house to John Kendall of London. In the 1870s Anthony Morris owned 597 acres in county Galway. In 1890 the Morris family were able to buy back the lease and settled again at Ballinaboy in 1896. Members of the family still reside there.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ballinaboy House Ballinaboy Ballindoon Clifden Errislannan 25 Ballynahinch Galway OSI Ref: L658 481
OS Sheet: 35
Discovery map: 44