Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Naper/Napper

In 1700 James Naper of Drewstown, county Meath, in partnership with Thomas Smith, bought the Ross estate in county Galway from Colonel John Browne of Westport, county Mayo. Naper's interest became vested in James Lennox Dutton and subsequently in his son Lord Sherborne to whom the Berminghams and later the Earls of Leitrim paid headrent. Details of the tenure of the Earls of Charlemont and Leitrim with regard to the Naper and Smith moieties is given in the sale rental of 28 June 1860. By the early 1860s the Naper interest was vested in Lord Dunsany and his trustees advertised it for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1863.

No houses were found for this estate

Archival sources

  • Westport Estate Papers, Collection List 78; National Library of Ireland
  • Clements Papers at Killadoon, county Kildare. C/1-2; Private Possession
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Charlemont and Leitrim, 28 June 1860, Vol 59, MRGS 39/030, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Cloncurry, Trimbleston & Dunsany, 24 Nov 1863, Vol 70, MRGS 39/035, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Rental of the estates of James Lenox Naper, mainly in county Meath but including lands in county Offaly and at Dunloe, county Kerry, 1733-1814. Ms.3031. ; National Library of Ireland
  • Rent rolls and accounts of the Dutton-Naper-Sherborne estates principally in Co. Meath. Compiled by Edward Rotherham, 1769 - 1788. Ms. 3032; National Library of Ireland

Modern printed sources