The Leeson family came to own some of the Bermingham estate in county Galway through the marriage of Sir William Edward Leeson of the Rushborough, county Wicklow family and Louisa Sewell. Sir William Leeson, residing at Kingstown, county Dublin, held 190 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s as well as over 700 acres in counties Galway and estates in Meath, Roscommon and Westmeath. His address in the Landowners survey is given as Caen, France.
No houses were found for this estate
- Collis & Ward, solicitors' collection, contains documents re the Leeson family, including deeds & abstracts of title re lands in the baronies of Athenry, Clare & Dunmore, comprising the Bermingham estate, 1773-1883. Small Accs. Index 98, D.22,526-22,609 & Parcel 38, 2/463/42; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 265
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 297.