Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bourke (Castleburke)

A vast estate in county Mayo had been established by Sir Theobald Bourke, 'Tibbot ne Long', created 1st Viscount Bourke of Mayo in 1627 and his son, Myles, 2nd Viscount, by the mid 17th century. However, their estate was confiscated by Cromwell and although part of it was restored, the costs involved in the implementation of their restoration meant that much of the estate had been acquired by Colonel John Browne by the end of the 17th century. Myles, 5th Viscount, and his family were left in possession of Castleburke, parish of Ballintober, barony of Carra and lands in the barony of Murrisk. Bridget Bourke, heiress to John, 8th and last Viscount, married an Englishman, Edmund Lambert, and their son, Aylmer Bourke Lambert, sold his estate to John Browne, 3rd Earl of Altamont, in 1795. He retained Castleburke and 470 acres which he sold in the Landed Estates' Court in 1862. It was purchased by John Griffin for over £1800. From 1821 James Tuohy was the tenant. Castleburke was the property of the Marquesses of Sligo until the late 20th century.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Castleburke Castleburke Ballintober Castlebar Clogher 59 Carra Mayo OSI Ref: M167 773
OS Sheet: 99
Discovery map: 38

Archival sources

  • Westport Estate Papers, Collection List 78; National Library of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Lambert Bourke, 17 June 1862, Vol 65, MRGS 39/033, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Miscellaneous documents, including papers re the claim of Michael Bourke to be Viscount Bourke c 1810. Small Accs. Index 10; National Archives of Ireland
  • Lambert of Boynton, deeds, manorial records, family and estate papers. WRO 1976; Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office
  • Documents mainly relating to the estates of the Lambert (later Fane) family of Boyton, 18 & 19th centuries. 857/1-21; Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources