Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McAlpine

At the time of Griffith's Valuation Colonel James McAlpine held 3 townlands in the parish of Aglish and 1 townland in the parish of Breaghwy, barony of Carra, and 1 townland in both the parishes of Templemore and Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. In the 1830s he was leasing lands in the parish of Bohola, barony of Gallen, from the Knoxes of Castlereagh. He was resident at Windsor in the parish of Breaghwy from the 1830s and he bought his property in the barony of Carra, previously in the possession of the McDonnells, from the Marquess of Sligo in 1854. In 1876 his representatives owned 889 acres in county Mayo. The Westport Estate Papers contain records concerning the administration of the McAlpine Robertson estate in the late 19th century.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Windsor House Breandrum Breaghwy Castlebar Turlough 69 Carra Mayo OSI Ref: M185920
OS Sheet: 79
Discovery map: 31