Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Rowley (Co Leitrim)

The Rowley family inherited the Campbell estate at Mountcampbell through the marriage, in 1766, of Clotworthy Rowley to Letitia, daughter and co-heiress of Samuel Campbell of Mount Campbell. The Rowley family made careers for themselves in the Royal Navy and were mostly absentee landlords. McParlan records that in 1802 William Rowley was a non-resident proprietor in county Leitrim. In 1835 Mount Campbell was let to the inspector of police, Major Warburton. The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography states, however, that Sir Josias Rowley died at his residence, Mount Campbell, in 1842, when the title became extinct. In the 1870s the Rowley estate amounted to over 2300 acres in county Leitrim. In 1906 William Rowley held over 200 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Mount Campbell. Members of the family were High Sheriffs of Leitrim in 1851 and again in 1899.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Mount Campbell Mountcampbell Annaduff Carrick-on-Shannon Drumsna 29 Leitrim Leitrim OSI Ref: M991986
OS Sheet: 31
Discovery map: 33
Drumcree Mill Drumcree Annaduff Carrick-on-Shannon Annaduff 27 Mohill Leitrim OSI Ref: N025967
OS Sheet: 32
Discovery map: 33

Archival sources

  • Correspondence between Josias Rowley and Lord Minto, 1835-38. ; National Maritime Museum (UK): Caird Library
  • Maps of Rowley estate in Co Leitrim. 21 F 40 (1-6); National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources