The Rowley family inherited the Campbell estate at Mountcampbell through the marriage, in 1766, of Clotworthy Rowley to Letitia, daughter and co-heiress of Samuel Campbell of Mount Campbell. The Rowley family made careers for themselves in the Royal Navy and were mostly absentee landlords. McParlan records that in 1802 William Rowley was a non-resident proprietor in county Leitrim. In 1835 Mount Campbell was let to the inspector of police, Major Warburton. The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography states, however, that Sir Josias Rowley died at his residence, Mount Campbell, in 1842, when the title became extinct. In the 1870s the Rowley estate amounted to over 2300 acres in county Leitrim. In 1906 William Rowley held over 200 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Mount Campbell. Members of the family were High Sheriffs of Leitrim in 1851 and again in 1899.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Mount Campbell||Mountcampbell||Annaduff||Carrick-on-Shannon||Drumsna 29||Leitrim||Leitrim||
OSI Ref: M991986
OS Sheet: 31
Discovery map: 33
|Drumcree Mill||Drumcree||Annaduff||Carrick-on-Shannon||Annaduff 27||Mohill||Leitrim||
OSI Ref: N025967
OS Sheet: 32
Discovery map: 33
- Correspondence between Josias Rowley and Lord Minto, 1835-38. ; National Maritime Museum (UK): Caird Library
- Maps of Rowley estate in Co Leitrim. 21 F 40 (1-6); National Library of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 396
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 306
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol I, 28.
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Leitrim: Vol I, 33.
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Carrick-on-Shannon Union, 38 (Mount Campbell), 133 (Drumcree)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 344.
- McPARLAN, James. ''Statistical Survey of the county of Leitrim''. Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1802. : 110.
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 609
- MATTHEW, H.C.G. and HARRISON, Brian (eds). ''Oxford Dictionary of National Biography''. Oxford: University Press, 2004: J. K. Laughton, ‘Rowley, Sir Josias, baronet (1765–1842)’, rev. Andrew Lambert,
- HARRISON, A (compiler).'' A roll of all gentlemen....High Sheriffs, MPs & other officers of county Leitrim, 1600-1909.'' Carrick-on-Shannon: printed by P. Brennan, 1910. : 12, 15.