Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Armstrong (Waterford)

In the 1870s, William Armstrong was the owner of over 2000 acres in county Tipperary as well as over 50 acres in county Waterford and 400 in county Limerick. [An Armstrong held lands in the parishes of Tubbrid and Whitechurch, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county Tipperary, from Lord Waterpark at the time of Griffith's Valuation while Armstrong esq is also referred to as the proprietor of townlands in the parish of Ballybacon at the time of the first Ordnance Survey in 1839.] Property in county Tipperary and elsewhere, belonging to John Armstrong, was sold in the Landed Estates Court in March 1862. The purchasers were Messers. Hemphill, Walpole and Davis.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ballydavid House Ballydavid Crooke Waterford Woodstown 94 Gaultiere Waterford OSI Ref: S678068
OS Sheet: 18
Discovery map: 76

Archival sources

  • Baker, Ringwood & Gordon, solicitor's collection, includes plain copy will & grant W. M. Armstrong of Ballydavid, 1889. Small Accs. Index 105, T.11592; National Archives of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey files: Barony of Gaultier; Waterford County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources