Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bennett (Templemore)

At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Bennett held land in the parishes of Drom and Templemore, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary from the Earl of Orkney and Thomas Bennett held land in the parish of Templemore. They appear to be sons of Theophilus Bennett who lived at Oldtown in 1814. John Bennett had a son Theophilus who married Mary Elizabeth daughter of Joseph L. Gubbins of county Limerick in 1856. [Mrs Sophia Bennett of George Street, Limerick, owned 1,680 acres in county Tipperary and 22 acres in King's county (Offaly) in the 1870s.]

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Oldtown Oldtown Templemore Thurles Drom 139 Eliogarty Tipperary OSI Ref: S094 717
OS Sheet: 29
Discovery map: 59
Eastwood Eastwood Templemore Thurles Drom 139 Eliogarty Tipperary OSI Ref: S125 732
OS Sheet: 29
Discovery map: 60
Falleen Falleen Ballymackey Nenagh Ballymackey 109 Upper Ormond Tipperary OSI Ref: R976 808
OS Sheet: 22
Discovery map: 59

Archival sources

  • Several bundles of various accounts, receipts and correspondence dating from early 1830s to 1900s connected to Bennett family of Thomastown, Thurles, Co. Tipperary. Box 41; Roscrea Heritage Society Centre, Damer House, Roscrea
  • Bennett Estate deeds referring to lands in Gortmullen, Co, Tipperary,1893. Photo album. Boxes 53, 91 & 94; Roscrea Heritage Society Centre, Damer House, Roscrea

Contemporary printed sources