The Newport family were influential in both the commerical and political life of the city of Waterford during the later eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Morris states that Simon Newport, a merchant of south Tipperary, moved to Waterford in the early eighteenth century and married into the Barker family. Sadleir, referring to the 1770s, also notes "Simon Newport, banker". His grandson, Sir John Newport, of Newpark, was created a Baronet in 1789. He served as an MP for the City of Waterford. After his death his trustees offered over 1000 acres for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 18555 and 1856. The sale included the mansion house at Newpark. In 1870, Charles Newport, resident in Belgium, offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court lands at Rathculiheen, barony of Kilculiheen, county Waterford. The sale notice indicates that he had purchased this property in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1857.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Newpark House (Waterford)||Rathculliheen||Kilculliheen||Waterford||Kilculliheen 110||Kilculliheen||Waterford||
OSI Ref: S629129
OS Sheet: 9
|Newport Corn Mill||Ballymaclode||Ballygunner||Waterford||Faithlegg 90||Gaultiere||Waterford||
OSI Ref: S659096
OS Sheet: 18
Discovery map: 76
|John's Hill House||Grange Lower||St. John's Without||Waterford||Waterford Rural 78||Gaultiere||Waterford||
OSI Ref: S611112
OS Sheet: 9
Discovery map: 76
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Newport, 20 May 1870, Vol 97, MRGS 39/046, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Newport, 9 November 1855, Vol 36, MRGS 39/017, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Newport, 20 June 1856, Vol 40, MRGS 39/019, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Newport-Bolton Papers: Rentals, lists of tenants and a map relating to the estates of the families of Newport and Bolton in County Waterford, 1840-1850 and 1876. Newport-Bolton Estates Papers, Ms. 8488 ; National Library of Ireland
- Deeds relating to property in Co. Waterford of the Newport family, 1780-1812. D. 23,071-9 ; National Archives of Ireland
- Pedigree of Newport, Barts., of Newpark, Co. Kilkenny and City of Waterford, c.1730 -- 1785. Genealogical Office: Ms.113, p.8 ; National Library of Ireland
- Pedigree of Newport of Waterford and New Park, Co. Kilkenny, Barts., c.1700 -- 1785. Genealogical Office: Ms.112, p.76 ; National Library of Ireland
- Pedigree of Newport, Barts., of Delft in Holland, of Waterford and of Newpark, Co. Kilkenny, c.1660 -- 1933. Ms.113, pp.249-5 and 491-4 ; National Library of Ireland
- Colbeck Radford & Co Ltd, Knightsbridge Collection, papers of Sir John Newport MP re mainly chaity, education, the church & other matters, c 1800-1840, Small Accs. Index 60; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Kilculliheen: 6 (Rathculliheen)
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Middlethird: 11 (Tramore East)
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Gaultiere: 2 (Ballymaclode), 50 (Grange Lower)
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 338 (New Park)
Modern printed sources
- NOLAN, W, POWER, T.P. & COWMAN, D. (eds). ''Waterford: History and Society''. (Dublin: Geography Publications, 1992). : Morris, Henry F. The "principal inhabitants" of county Waterford in 1746, pp.316-317.
- McENEANEY, Eamonn. ''A history of Waterford and its mayors, twelfth to twentieth century.'' (Waterford: Waterford Corporatin, 1995) : An era of elegence and splendour: Sir Simon Newport, Mayor 1797, 1824. pp.165-181.
- NATIONAL LIBRARY OF IRELAND. Reports on Private Collections: AINSWORTH, J.F. National Library Report on Private Collections, No. 198: Report on the Newport Papers (from 1739), the property of Mr. R. Newport, Provincial Bank, Enniscorthy, relating to the families of Hawtrey, Newport and Strangman and to lands in Cos. Waterford and Kilkenny.
- MCGUIRE, James & QUINN, James (eds.) ''Dictionary of Irish Biography''. Cambridge University Press, 2009: HOURICAN, Bridget. Sir (Simon) John Newport (1756-1843), Vol.VI pp.902-903.
- ''Jnl of the Waterford and South-East of Ireland Archaeological Society'' : Sadlier, T.U. The county of Waterford, 1775. XVI (1913), pp.49-55.