Gallwey notes that the Anthony family became associated with the properties at Carrigcastle and Seafield, county Waterford, around the 1670s. From the 1690s they seem to have held a perpetual lease on the Carrigcastle property from the Osbornes of Newtown Anner. The family remained associated with these properties until 1902 when the Seafield estate was sold to James Russell. James Anthony, of Seafield House, Kilmacthomas, county Waterford, was the owner of over 500 acres in the county in the 1870s. Lands formerly the property of Michael Anthony in the baronies of Coshmore and Coshbride, county Waterford, and Imokilly, county Cork were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in 1876. Details of purchasers of some of this property appeared in the Irish Times in January 1877. William Perrott purchased another lot of this estate in trust in May 1877.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Carrig Castle||Carrigcastle||Ballylaneen||Kilmacthomas||Carrigcastle 39||Decies without Drum||Waterford||
OSI Ref: S415017
OS Sheet: 24
Discovery map: 82
|Seafield (Decies)||Seafield||Ballylaneen||Kilmacthomas||Carrigcastle 39||Decies without Drum||Waterford||
OSI Ref: S412005
OS Sheet: 24
Discovery map: 82
- Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Anthony, 27 June 1876, Vol 124, MRGS 39/056, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 8
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 116 (Cork), 173 (Waterford)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 94
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Decies without Drum: 21 (Seafield)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 297 (Seafield)
Modern printed sources
- ''Decies: Journal of the Waterford Archaeological and Historical Society'': GALLWEY, Hubert. Carrigcastle and Seafield, county Waterford and the families of Power and Anthony. III (1976), pp.3-6
- ''Decies: Journal of the Waterford Archaeological and Historical Society'': GALLWEY, Hubert. The Anthony family of Carrigcastle and Seafield. XVI (1981), pp.15-21.
- NOLAN, W, POWER, T.P. & COWMAN, D. (eds). ''Waterford: History and Society''. (Dublin: Geography Publications, 1992). : MORRIS, H.F. The "principal inhabitants" of county Waterford in 1746 ref on p.326
- SMITH, Charles. ''The ancient and present state of the county and city of Waterford''. Third edition edited by Donald Brady. Wateford : Waterford County Council, 2008. : 71 (Carrig Castle)
- SMITH, Charles. ''The ancient and present state of the county and city of Waterford''. Third edition edited by Donald Brady. Wateford : Waterford County Council, 2008. : BRADY, Donald. Appendix III, houses mentioned by Smith. p 305.
- ''Irish Times'': Landed Estates Court sale reports, 17 January 1877, p.3. 30 May 1877, p.3.