Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Murphy (Ballinamona)

William Murphy was a son of Edmond Murphy of Ballinamona, Cashel, county Tipperary, and his wife Margaret Scully of Kilfeakle. He married Ellen, second daughter of Jeremiah Shine of Coolyhenan, county Limerick and was succeeded by his son, Lieutenant Colonel Edmond William Murphy, in 1890. William Murphy held land in the parishes of Hore Abbey, barony of Middlethird and Clogher, barony of Kilmanagh Lower, county Tipperary, in the mid 19th century. Over 280 acres of the Murphy estate in the baronies of Middlethird and Eliogarty was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in March 157. It was purchased in trust by Mr. Fitzgerald. In the 1870s William Murphy of Ballinamona, Cashel, owned 856 acres in the county while Edmond W. Murphy of Woodford owned 298 acres. This family appear to be closely related to the Murphys of Ballymore.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ballinamona Ballinamona Hore Abbey Cashel Cashel Rural Middlethird Tipperary OSI Ref: S048 399
OS Sheet: 60
Discovery map: 66
Woodford Woodford Clonoulty Cashel Clonoulty East 50 Kilnamanagh Lower Tipperary OSI Ref: S034 483
OS Sheet: 52
Discovery map: 66

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Murphy, (Ballycomask), 31 Mar 1857, Vol 44 (50), MRGS 39/021, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Wallis & Murphy (Kilshenane), 26 May 1868, Vol 89 (60), MRGS 39/043, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources