Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Clarke (Graiguenoe)

Members of the Clerke and Upton families were granted lands in the baronies of Clanwilliam and Middlethird, county Tipperary, in 1666. Burke's "Landed Gentry of Ireland" (1904) records the five sons of the Reverend Marshal Clarke (died 1833) and his wife, Elizabeth Hare. The youngest son, Charles, built Graiguenoe Park and married Sarah Otway Bland. Charles was succeeded by his son, Marshal Neville Clarke, in 1879. In the mid 19th century Charles Clarke held land in the parishes of Holycross, barony of Middlethird, and Kilmucklin and Rathlynin, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary while Robert Clarke held land in the parishes of Cordangan, barony of Clanwilliam, Donohill and Kilmore, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower. In the 1870s Charles Clarke of Graiguenoe owned 2,740 acres in county Tipperary.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Graiguenoe Graiguenoe Holycross Cashel Gaile 38 Middlethird Tipperary OSI Ref: S084 531
OS Sheet: 47
Discovery map: 66
Bansha House Templenahurney Clonbullogue Tipperary Bansha Clanwilliam Tipperary OSI Ref: R959 337
OS Sheet: 67
Discovery map: 66

Archival sources

  • Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendants of Charles Eldon Clarke of Newton House, Co. Tipperary and to his grandson, Marshal Clarke, then a minor, son of Cecil Cholmondely Clarke and Fanny Ethel, his widow of the Hermitage, Holy Cross, Dec. 20, 1935. Genealogical Office: Ms.111f, fol.65 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Collis & Ward, solicitor's collection, includes administration & will of Charles Clarke, Graignenoe Park, Holy Cross, 1879. Private Accessions Index 98, T.6234; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources