At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, the representatives of Mrs Rebecca Hartford held a considerable estate in the barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary, mainly in the parishes of Garrangibbon and Templemichael, close to the border with county Kilkenny. Details of the estate are documented in the sale rental of 15 November 1855 when the estate of Rebecca Hartford, amounting to 4,118 acres in the barony of Slievardagh and premises in Carrick-on-Suir, was put up for sale. A sale rental relating to a fee farm rent out of lands in the barony of Slievardagh, held by the representatives of Rebecca Hartford from William Quin was offered for sale in May 1871. The interest of various persons in South Lodge and Kilderriheen, county Waterford was advertised for sale in March 1860, Rebecca Hartford, petitioner. The Hartfords appear to be a county Kilkenny family. Property at Shortall's Graigue, barony of Crannagh, county Kilkenny, the estate of Frederick Augustus Hartford was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court (see ''The Irish Jurist'' 1855). In 1884 Rebecca Sarah Hartford, daughter of Captain Augustus Hartford of Rose Court, Portarlington, married Neptune Fitzgerald Blood (Ballykilty, county Clare) in South Africa. The Hartfords were living at Wellington Lodge, Templemore, county Tipperary in 1844 when Rebecca was born.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Garrangibbon||Garrangibbon||Garrangibbon||Carrick on Suir||Garrangibbon||Slievardagh||Tipperary||
OSI Ref: S355 304
OS Sheet: 78
Discovery map: 67
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Hartford, 15 Nov 1855, Vol 36 (53), MRGS 39/017, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Poole, Peard, Houghton, (Southlodge, Co Tipperary & Kilderriheeen, Co Waterford), 16 Mar 1860, Vol 58 (40), MRGS 39/029, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Quin, 2 May 1871, Vol 101 (25), MRGS 39/047, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Hanrahan, 17 Jan 1873, Vol 109 (6), MRGS 39/050, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Baker, Ringwood & Gordon, solicitors' collection, includes documents re the Hartford estate in Cos Kilkenny & Tipperary, 1670-1855. Small Accs. Index 105, D.21,008-21,032, T.11,805, M.3866 ; National Archives of Ireland
- Longfield map of lands of Ballinvir & Garrymorris, barony of Slievardagh, [Hartford estate]. 21.F.47 (10) ; National Library of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Slievardagh Barony, 51 (Garrangibbon)
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 358 (South-lodge, J.B.Elliott)
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Tipperary: Vol.IV, Parish of Garrangibbon, p.3.