Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Petre

In the mid 19th century Richard F. Power held two townlands in the parish of Aghnameadle, barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary. Mrs Mary Anastasia Petre, formerly Power, was the wife of Henry Petre of Berkeley Square, Middlesex. In April 1857 her estate of over 2,400 acres, comprised of the mansion house and part of the lands of Annameddle [Aghnameadle], barony of Upper Ormond, Ballycapple, barony of Lower Ormond, Castletown, barony of Eliogarty, premises in the town of Nenagh, county Tipperary and Kilpadder and Ballinabartla, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. Her county Cork lands were held under fee farm grants dated 1853 Samuel Spaight Reeves to Mary Petre. Ballycapple was advertised for sale again in February 1858. The Honourable Mary Petre still owned the 730 acres at Castletown in the mid 1870s. They were advertised for sale again in June 1877. The Irish Times reported that three of these lots had previously been sold out of court.

Associated Families

No houses were found for this estate

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Petre, 24 April 1857, Vol 44 (56), MRGS 39/021, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Petre, 26 Feb 1858, Vol 50 (46), MRGS 39/024, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Petre, 15 June 1877, Vol 128 (18), MRGS 39/058, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources