Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Delacour

Of French origin this family settled in county Cork in the second half of the 17th century. In 1680 Robert Delacour married Ellen, daughter of Philip Cross and their grandson, another Robert, married Dorcas Norcott in 1764. Their eldest son was Robert De La Cour of Beare Forest who by his wife, Mary Baggs, had three sons, Robert of Fairy Hill, James of Sunny Hill and Hugh who married Katherine Stawell of Crobeg as well as a daughter who married Captain William Henry Herrick of Shippool. Robert Delacour was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballinaboy and Dunderrow, barony of Kinalea, county Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1820 James Delacour married Harriet G. Lombard, daughter and co heiress of James Lombard of Lombardstown. In the 1870s James Delacour of Mallow owned 4,507 acres in county Cork. His brother Robert Delacour of Fairyhill owned a further 717 acres and James' son, Reverend Robert W. Delacour of London, owned 872 acres.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Fairy Hill Annabella Mallow Mallow Mallow Rural 250 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref: W549 987
OS Sheet: 33
Discovery map: 80
Sunny Hill Annabella Mallow Mallow Mallow Rural 250 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref: W546 984
OS Sheet: 33
Discovery map: 80
Bearforest Bearforest Lower Mallow Mallow Mallow North Urban 251 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref: W565 975
OS Sheet: 33
Discovery map: 80

Archival sources

  • Irish Tourist Association Survey files, Parish of Mallow; Cork County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources