Landed Estates
NUI Galway

White/Grove White (Kilburn/Kilbyrne)

The White family were established at Kilbyrne, parish of Caherduggan, county Cork, from the mid 17th century. They married members of the Grove and Garde families. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James G. White held the townland of Kilburn, parish of Caherduggan and James White held land in the parish of Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow. In the 1870s James White of Kilburn owned 569 acres in county Cork.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Springfort Hall Baltydaniel East Caherduggan Mallow Kilcummer 131 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref: R551 038
OS Sheet: 25
Discovery map: 73
Kilburn/Kilbyrne Kilburn Caherduggan Mallow Caherduggan 241 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref: R585 058
OS Sheet: 25
Discovery map: 73

Archival sources

  • Estate and family papers of the Grove White family of Kilburn Co. Cork, including deeds and rental of lands in Kilbeg Co. Tipperary. 1773-1880. U209; Cork City and County Archives
  • Pedigree of White of Dromanagh, Barony of Decies, Co. Waterford, of Kilburn also Kilbyrne and Kingstown, Co. Cork, and City of Gloucester and City of Dublin, c.1670 -- 1884. GO Ms.180, pp.258-63 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Grove White Papers, PC 15 & 200; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources