Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Carleton (Co Tipperary)

The Carletons were located in the Clonmel area of county Tipperary from the late 17th century. In 1703 John Carleton of Knocknanimy bought lands in the barony of Middlethird, previously part of the estate of King James II. John Carleton was living at Darling Hill early in the 18th century and in 1705 purchased Clare (Butlerstown). His descendant Hugh Carleton was created Baron Carleton of Anner in 1789 and Viscount Carleton of Clare in 1797. He died childless in 1825 and his nephew Francis succeeded to his estates. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Carletons held land in the parishes of Kiltinan and Magorban, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Francis Carleton of Dublin owned 741 acres in county Tipperary.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Knockeevan/Darling Hill Knockeevan Newchapel Clonmel Lisronagh 80 Iffa and Offa East Tipperary OSI Ref: S171 286
OS Sheet: 77
Discovery map: 74
Silverfort Silverfort Magorban Cashel Ardsallagh 40 Middlethird Tipperary OSI Ref: S163 420
OS Sheet: 61
Discovery map: 66

Archival sources

  • Maurice Lenihan Papers include printed family trees of W.E. Armstron MacDonnell of New Hall & Kilkee, Mac Donnell of New Hall, Armstrong of Mount Heaton, Mealiffe & Farney Castle, Co Tipperary and Carleton of Darlinghill & Knockananama, Co Tipperary, 19th century. MS 133; National Library of Ireland
  • Pedigree of Carleton of Knockananama also Darlinghill near Clonmel and of Clare all in Co. Tipperary, Viscount Carleton, of Cork City and Greenfield, Co. Cork, of Green Park, Co. Down, of City of Dublin, and of New Zealand, c.1640-1866. Genealogical Office: Ms.179, pp.221-30 ; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources