Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Trenchard

In the late 16th century William Trenchard from Wiltshire was granted land in county Limerick. William Hodges was steward for the Trenchards in the early 18th century. His descendants lived at Corgrigg Castle but the male line died out sometime in the early 18th century and the estate was inherited by the Long and Hippesly families who had intermarried with the Trenchards. In 1770 the estate amounting to almost 4,000 acres was divided between the two families. The Hippeslys sold their share to the Earl of Conyngham. In the early 1800s Thomas Rice of Kerry bought both divisions.

Associated Families

No houses were found for this estate

Archival sources

  • Papers re Trenchard Family of Cutteridge, including Co Limerick estate papers 1705-1715. 1178/555-569 ; Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office
  • Papers re Trenchard Family of Cutteridge, including Co Limerick deeds, manorial records & estate papers. 1M53; Hampshire Record Office
  • Long Family Papers, include lease from William Long of Melksham to Thomas Rice Stephen of Dublin, barrister, of a half share in the Mount Trenchard estate, co. Limerick, 1767. Also draft arbitrator's award, 1778. 947/1136/1-2 ; Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources