James Deane of Cork owned 1750 acres in county Kerry and 2700 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Alexander Deane is recorded as the proprietor of over 900 acres in county Kerry at the same time. These lands were in the parishes of Aghadoe and Brosna. In 1861, over 350 acres, the estate of John Cooper, in the barony of Magunihy, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. This was held on lease, dated 1839, from Alexander Deane.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
OSI Ref: R170153
OS Sheet: 32
Discovery map: 72
|Lislevane Cottage||Lislevane||Abbeymahon||Clonakilty||Abbeymahon 58||Ibane & Barryroe||Cork||
OSI Ref: W476395
OS Sheet: 136
Discovery map: 89
|Ballyva House||Ballyva||Ardfield||Clonakilty||Ardfield 52||Ibane & Barryroe||Cork||
OSI Ref: W364342
OS Sheet: 144
Discovery map: 89
|Dundanion Castle||Dundanion||St Finbars||Cork||Blackrock 95||Cork||Cork||
OSI Ref: W711 718
OS Sheet: 74
Discovery map: 87
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Cooper, 6 June 1861, Vol 62, MRGS 39/031, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- The Pomeroy family of Pallice, Co. Cork, the families of Holmes, Smyth, Deane and Towgood of Co. Cork, the Gilbourne family of Co. Limerick, and allied families. Also the Pomercy and Holme families of England; compiled by Margaret Dickson Falley, 1956. Ms. 7976 ; National Library of Ireland
- Pedigree of Deane of Donshadee, of City of Cork and Dundasion Castle, Co. Cork, of Killiney, Co. Dublin, and Fittleworth, Co. Sussex, c.1730 1934.Genealogical Office: Ms.182, pp.381-6 ; National Library of Ireland
- Volume containing cases and opinions relating to title to lands of Ummera, Co Cork, with title deeds. Prepared for Thomas Deane on the occasion of purchase from H.A. Bushe, 1820. M. 6116; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 142 (Kerry)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 260 (Knockawinna)
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 119
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 75.
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Ibarne & Barryroe Barony, 10 (Lislevane), 13 (Ballyva)
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: I, 208 (Dundanion)
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Cork Barony, 70 (Dundanion)
Modern printed sources
- NATIONAL LIBRARY OF IRELAND. Reports on Private Collections: AINSWORTH, J.F. National Library Report on Private Collections, No. 420: Report on the Deane Papers (from 1782), the property of Mr. T.R. Blackley, Gurrane, Fermoy, relating to the Deane family and to property in Cork City.
- NATIONAL LIBRARY OF IRELAND. Reports on Private Collections: AINSWORTH, J.F. National Library Report on Private Collections, No. 275: Report on the Franks Papers (from 1681), formerly the property of Mr. H. C. Franks, Gerrattstown, Kinsale, now in the National Library of Ireland, relating to the Bernard, Coppinger, Deane, Forster and Rowland families and to lands in the City and County of Cork.
- O'DWYER, Frederick. ''The architecture of Deane and Woodward''. Cork University Press, 1997: All