Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McGrath (Kilbarron)

In 1677 Edmond Magrath, son and heir of Redmond Magrath, was granted 5,799 acres in the barony of Tulla, including Kilbarron. Edward McGrath held land in the parish of Feakle, barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Anne, Robert and Thomas McGrath of Kilbarron each owned 142 acres in county Clare in the 1870s.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Kilbarron Kilbarron Feakle Scarriff Colreagh 127 Tulla Upper Clare OSI Ref: R563 841
OS Sheet: 28
Discovery map: 58

Archival sources

  • Papers re property of McGrath family of Kilbarron in Co Clare from 1701, including title statement, genealogies & reference to Edmund McGrath building a house at Kilbarron in 1819. McGrath collection, Small Accessions Index 1/709, Co.2994-2998, D.12,795-12,804, M.1217-1223; National Archives of Ireland
  • Connaught certificate for lands in Kilbarron, Co Clare to J. Ryan & others, Dec 1676 & copy of decree of Trustees for Forfeited Estates on claim of connor Ryan to Kilbarne, Co Clare, 21 Mar 1701/2. CO. 2994 & 2995; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources