Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Barclay

McAuliffe writes that the Barclays, a Quaker family, came from Scotland to Ireland. At the end of the 17th century a Reverend David Barclay, rector of Kilmurry McMahon, was renting a farm at Ballyartney, parish of Killofin, county Clare, from the See of Killaloe. The Prior Wandesforde Estate Papers contain an indenture between Richard and Agnes Southwell and David Barclay of Ballyartney, dated 1728. At the beginning of the 19th century Richard Barclay was resident at Ballyartney. He married Millicent Studdert and had a large family, some of whom emigrated to Argentina. His son, Thomas Barclay, married Charlotte Morony of Miltown House, Miltown Malbay and they had six children. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Charlotte held an estate in the parishes of Killofin and Kilfiddane, barony of Clonderalaw, while her brother-in-law, George Barclay, held two townlands, including 923 acres in the parish of Kilfiddane. In February 1865 part of the lands of Cahircalla was purchased by Richard John Stacpoole from the Barclays for £1350. In the 1870s Richard Barclay of South America owned 923 acres in county Clare while the representatives of Richard Barclay, address Ballyartney, owned 338 acres. see http://www.kittybrewster.com/ancestry/studdert.htm

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ballyartney Ballyartney Killofin Killadysert Coolmeen 71 Clonderalaw Clare OSI Ref: R153 542
OS Sheet: 68
Discovery map: 64

Archival sources

  • Prior Wandesforde Estate Papers, Collection List 52, MS 35,549(4); National Library of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (Dunboyne), Barclay, 23 Feb 1865, Vol 25, 37-44, (note re purchaser); James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland, Galway
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien),Barclay, 23 Feb 1865, Vol 75 (45), MRGS 39/037, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
  • McMahon Collection, IE CLCCA/PP/EST/1; Clare County Archives

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources