Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Herne & Starke

Rev. William Herne and Capt. Starke were lessors in the parish of Achonry at the time of Griffith's Valuation. They appeared to have lands leased from the Cooper of Markree estate. Their representatives were the proprietors of over 500 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s. Over 250 acres of this estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in April 1877 by which time both William Edward Hearn and J.H Stirke were deceased. The tenure details would suggest this had originally been held from the Coopers by the Fleming estate.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Roadstown Ballinvally or Roadstown Cloonoghil Tobercurry Cloonoghil 79 Corran Sligo OSI Ref: G583115
OS Sheet: 38
Discovery map: 25

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Hearn, 24 April 1877, Vol 127, MRGS 39/057, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources