The representatives of John Browne are among the principal lessors in the parish of Drumreilly, barony of Carrigallen, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1876 and 1877 over 1000 acres owned by members of the Browne and McClintock families were offered for sale in the Landed Estates' Court. The Irish Times reported that Messers. Higgins and McKeon purchased some lots while others were sold privately. Mrs. Elizabeth Browne, of Kilbracken, Carrigallen, was the owner of over 1000 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s.
- Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Browne & McClintock, 13 June 1876, Vol 124,, MRGS 39/056, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Browne & McClintock, 20 February 1877, Vol 127, MRGS 39/057, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 303
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 56
Modern printed sources
- ''Irish Times'': Landed Estates Court sale reports, 21 February 1877, p.3.