B. Leigh Smith is recorded as the owner of almost 3,000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. This may be Benjamin Leigh Smith, the polar explorer and brother of Barbara Leigh Smith Bodicon, artist and female activist, who was rescued by Sir Henry Gore Booth during an Arctic expedition in 1882.
No houses were found for this estate
- Lissadell Papers, D/4131; Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
- Smith Papers. E/LS; London Metropolitan Archives: city of London
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 299
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 415
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 149.