Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Morgan (Ballymacward)

At the time of Griffith's Valuation a house valued at £30 in the townland of Hampstead, parish of Ballymacward, was leased by Ellen Morgan and her sisters to Martin Blake. Over 250 acres of land at Garrymore and Hampstead, barony of Kilconnell, the property of Henry McNamara Morgan, were offered for sale in the Land Judges' court in June 1878 and January 1879. The original lease governing this property was dated 1718 from the Earl of Arran to Richard Warburton. In the 1870s Mrs M Morgan of Wellimount [Willmount], Athenry, Mrs Jane Mahon of Hampstead and Capt Butler of the Navy and Military Club owned over a thousand acres in county Clare. see McNamara Morgan entry

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Hampstead Hampstead Ballymacward Ballinasloe Ballymacward 7 Kilconnell Galway OSI Ref: M657382
OS Sheet: 60, 72, 73
Discovery map: 46

Archival sources

  • Land Judges Court Rentals (O?Brien), McNamara Morgan, 14 January 1879, Vol 135, MRGS 39/060, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Land Judges Court Rentals (O?Brien), McNamara Morgan, 29 June 1878, Vol 133, MRGS 39/059, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Hampstead House. Photographs. 024/077.; Irish Architectural Archive

Contemporary printed sources