An estate comprised of 2 townlands in the parish of Kilcroan, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, was held by a branch of the Bodkin family in the latter half of the 19th century, centred on their residence at Roseberry. Martin Lynch, formerly the tenant, had bought the estate under a decree of the Court of Chancery in 1845 for £3,100. In 1850 Lynch sold the estate to William Thomas Bodkin, the petitioner. By the 1870s Mrs Bodkin of Roseberry still owned 487 acres in county Galway.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Roseberry House||Tobinstown||Kilcroan||Glennamaddy||Ballymoe 82||Ballymoe||Galway||
OSI Ref: M668 715
OS Sheet: 2
Discovery map: 39
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Lynch, 12 July 1850, Vol 2, MRGS 39/001, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 374 (Michael Tobin)
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Glennamaddy Union, 69
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 293
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 316
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 151.
Modern printed sources
- ''Jnl. of the County Kildare Archaeological Society'': FITZGERALD, Walter. The origins of the Bodkin family of county Galway. I (1891-1895), 204