At the time of Griffith's Valuation William V.F. Hickman was leasing a property valued at £30 to William Robinson in the parish and townland of Athenry. William Vesey Fitzgerald Hickman was son of Edward Shadwell Hickman of Newpark, Ennis, county Clare, and sold Newpark to his brother-in law, Thomas Moore Perssse of Newcastle, county Galway, in 1853. His Galway estates at Bullaun and Wallscourt had previously been sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1852. The purchaser on that occasion was Robert D'Arcy. Hickman's estate at Athenry was offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in 1876. He is recorded as owning only 18 acres in county Galway after that.
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), W.V.F. Hickman, lands of Bullane, 10 March 1853, Vol 20, MRGS 39/009, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), W.V.F. Hickman estate at Wallscourt, 12 Feb 1852, Vol 13, 39/006(microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), W.V.F. Hickman, houses & demesne at Athenry, 10 November 1876, Vol 126, MRGS 39/057, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Athenry House (now demolished). Photographs. 022/004. ; Irish Architectural Archive
- Encumbered Estates Court Rental, William Vesey Fitzgerald Hickman, fee simple and freehold estates in Cos Galway & Clare, purchasers were Mr Moore Persse & Mr Octavius O’Brien in trust, 10 Mar 1853 ; Clare County Library
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Hickman, 10 Mar 1853, Vol 20 (55), MRGS 39/009, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Loughrea Union, 1.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 296
Modern printed sources
- GLIN, Knight of, GRIFFIN, D. J. & ROBINSON, N.K (eds).'' Vanishing Country Houses of Ireland''. Dublin: Irish Architectural Archive/Irish Georgian Society, 1989. : 69.
- ''Freeman's Journal'': Incumbered Estates Court Sale reports, 13 February 1852, p.4