In 1837 Lewis refers to the Castle at Templemore being the residence of the Carden family "up to about a century ago" when it was accidentially burnt by fire. He states that more recently the Carden family had lived at the Priory, a house marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map and valued at £96+ at the time of Griffith's Valuation. This house was rebuilt in the 1860s and was burnt in the early 1920s. The stableyard is still extant. In 1894 Slater had referred to Templemore Abbey as the seat of Sir John C. Carden.