Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kilshane/ Spring House

Estate(s)
Townland Springhouse
Civil Parish Kilshane
PLU Tipperary
DED Kilfeakle 163
County Tipperary
Barony Clanwilliam
Description It is not clear where the McCarthy house at Springhouse was located but a building is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map as Spring House, later known as Kilshane. In 1786 Wilson refers to Spring House as the seat of Mr. McCathy. Thomas McCarthy resided at Springhouse in 1814. The present house was built in the 1820s by John Lowe and was designed by C. F. Anderson. It continued to be the home of the Lowe family throughout the 19th century. Lewis refers to Spring House the residence of J. Low. Simon Low held the property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the house was valued at £75. The Lowes were still resident in 1906. This house was renovated and restored in the early 21st century and now functions as a hotel. see http://www.kilshanehouse.ie/Contact.html
Kilshane House (www.buildingsofireland.ie)

Property Location